THIS IS A WRITING PROJECT BY THE LONDON CENTRE FOR PERSONAL SAFETY

Thursday 30 August 2007

He didn't get what he wanted.

"I am a resident of the Kings cross area and often travel alone at night. I sometimes travel by public transport, but usually I travell by bike. Recently I was dragged from my bicycle in Hoxton. It was late evening, I had dismounted my bike and was pushing it near the pavement, when I was approached by a man. He asked me for a light. I thought he looked a bit rough, but I diddn't had an imediate sense of danger coming from him. I said I didn't had a light and was moving on, when he suddenly grabed me and pushed me down on the pavement. The street was empty, it was only me and him and I started to struggle and shout, and when he did not let go I made a grab for his crotch. He let go of me and backed of, with a look of susprise on his face. As he went, he said " "Well I got what I wanted, didn't I?", which I think he said to save face. At that point several people came running, alerted by my shouts. They were asking "What happened?" and, "Are you ok?" .

This happened before I attended LCPS self defence course. Although I acquited myself fairly honourably and got away fairly unscatered, I would have been infinitelly more efficient about it. I would also have been better prepared and would have reported the attack to the police more efficiently. I might even not have been attacked at all, since your course provide excellent advice and practical steps to take as safeguard against attack."

No comments: