THIS IS A WRITING PROJECT BY THE LONDON CENTRE FOR PERSONAL SAFETY

Thursday 30 August 2007

Domestic Violence



Photo from Dreamtimes.com





"I am a sixty one year old Indian lady and have been married thirty-nine years. Like most Asian societies (Indian society), it is very male dominated. In the past through alcohol abuse, my husband would get very violent. He had beaten me up severely enough to cut my face open (which warranted stitches), kicked me and punched me many a time with a closed fist. Life for me would be to just get out his way and often spend evening after evening locked in my room. Through the Woman's Centre, I heard of the Personal Safety course, my intention being, to be safe on the street against racial abuse, I decided to have a go. Since taking the course, I have generally felt more capable in myself. One evening, my husband having had a few drinks, thought he would do the norm. I used my personal safety skills and defended myself by thrusting my fingers in his eyes and kicked him away. Next morning he awoke (sober), with one black eye and the other completely blood shot. Since then, he is well aware of my capabilities and dare not strike me, in fear of getting hurt himself. I don't lock myself in my room anymore, and now have confidence and freedom back. "

No comments: